Thursday, June 7, 2007

First week of SUMMER!!!

So, exactly a week ago today we finished school! I shed my last tears and sent my soon-to-be 6th graders out the door.
This week I jumped right into preparing for next year. I had training all week for a technology program called eMINTS4all. I'm slowly discovering that I have a little geekyness in my system and that there is SO much out there I don't know about in the techy world.
This week, I have discovered what an aggregator is, learned about the constructivist theory, why Madeline Hunter's teaching method is on its way to the garbage and what an avatar is. Never heard of any of these terms? Neither had I!
The craziest thing about my cool techy class was that we were introduced to Second Life, a highly geeky virtual world where people create a dual personality and communicate with SL's other 7,000,000 inhabitants. If you don't believe me, check out SecondLife.com.
Tonight I coached my first softball game! To those who haven't heard, I'm the new assistant softball coach at Branson...pretty exciting! I felt really nervous in the games because...well, I haven't played in 7 years and I forgot some of the rules of the game and all the lingo. It'll take me a while, but I'll get it.
Being a new techy geek is definitely going to benefit me during softball, because Coach Arnold has already put me in charge of updating the website and keeping all the stats on a PalmPilot. We'll see how that goes...
Well, this about wraps up my first week of summer. I like to think that NEXT week is my real first week of summer. I'm going on a crazy road trip with Emily to Pigeon Forge and then the beach!!! More to come later!

2 comments:

About us... said...

Well, it sounds like that eMINTS training gave you a chance to hang out with some pretty happening people. One in particular I heard is the absolute coolest! I am so excited for you and all that is going on around you. You have entered into the scary tech world, officially. You are an amazing 5th grade teacher, a soon to be super fun softball coach, a traveler, Dolly's best friend forever, and singing abroad. You are truly blessed as am I to have been pursued by such a wonderful friend:)

Erin said...

Okay, you all have convinced me. I think I'm going to jump into this personal blog thing. It may take me a little while... and I'll probably mis-prioritize my life after I've started, but I just can't help myself anymore. You all are just too cute, and I've got to get in on this action. You'll have to look for me soon! I miss you this week! Hope you're having fun!